Phase 2. Review & Plan
Check out the overview video of Phase 2
Steps for Phase 2: Review and Plan
Teachers conduct research, review curricular materials, and plan instruction.
Dive into research
- Review research on your focus and theory of action
- Why is this difficult to teach?
- Why might students struggle with this concept?
- What instructional strategies are shown to be effective?
- How are these strategies best implemented?
Review your curriculum and instructional materials
- Select the unit for your Lesson Study
- Examine the sequence of goals, lessons, and tasks within the unit
- Does the sequence and timing make sense?
- Do knowledge and skills build upon each other?
- Unpack the Student Expectations (SEs) from the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). This step may be completed earlier in the process
- Select a lesson from this unit for your lesson study
Review and plan the Research Lesson
- Examine or draft the lesson goals and objectives
- Examine or draft the assessment/exit ticket and write an exemplar student response
- Plan the Research Lesson in detail
- Complete the instructional tasks as if you were a student, considering different approaches and potential misconceptions
- Run through the Research Lesson to decide if changes are needed
Explore these Tools for Phase 2
The documents with a star icon are essential to the process.